Why Do You Need To Be In Business Directory Listings?
Business Directory Listings are critical for your business. A business directory is anywhere your center's Name, Address and Phone Number (NAP) can be listed. Popular sites are Google, Yahoo!, Bing, Care.com, and Yelp, but there are hundreds of others that your prospective customers could be using.
Your business must be listed properly and completely in these directories to be found. This will result in you and your business showing up much more frequently in online searches. And when that happens, you will get more traffic to your website and greater sales.
Getting In Business Directories Takes Work
The catch is you have to put in the effort to get listed on hundreds, and possibly thousands, of FREE and paid directories. More importantly, these listings must be completed in a very specific way to be recognized by well-known sites, such as Google, Yahoo, Bing, and others. These local maps are similar in purpose and intent to the Yellow Pages of yesteryear; they are, of course, far more effective.
As you are claiming or optimizing your listings is it important to know that your business information must be identical everywhere! This means that if your center name is Apple Tree Child Development Center LLC. it needs to be listed exactly like that everywhere. The following are not considered the same business by search engines: Apple Tree CDC, Apple Tree Early Learning, Apple Tree Child Care, Apple Tree LLC.
Business Directory Listing Management - Setup
- Confirm Business Information (Name, Phone, Website, Address, Logo, About Info)
- Determine Business History (Previous Addresses, Phone Numbers or Business Names)
- Gather Media (images, videos, testimonials)
- Craft The Core Listing Document - We put together our roadmap for managing and creating listings for your business.
- Setup And/Or Verify Information With The Data Aggregators (these are the places that fuel a lot of the other directories! If you information isn't correct here you are setting yourself up to fail).
- Setup And/Or Verify Information on major directories like Google, Yelp, Bing, Yahoo
- Core Pages (Home, About, Staff, Testimonials, Programs, Updates, Contact Us, Disclosures, Site Map)
- Work on claiming an additional 30 business directory listings (see the ongoing for details on what setup and/or verifying each listing entails)
Business Directory Listing Management - Ongoing
- Monitor Business Information on the main data aggregators and Google
- Continue working to verify and fix 10 - 20 listings a month. The number depends on the complexity on getting a specific listing setup or the information correctly updated.
- We will follow up directly with each directory until the listing is created or corrected. Sometimes this process can take 2 - 3 months.
- Claim additional new listings for your business. If we can create an account we will, if not we will submit support tickets and monitor them until the information is correctly updated.
You Must Manage Your Directory Listings Monthly
Each month directories change where they are getting information from and/or directories are purchased by other companies. There is a very good chance that some incorrect information will start to make its way into your listings. For example, when you get Internet service, you may be given a free phone number with your service. This number is often attached to a listing on the Internet service providers website. This incorrect information can then start to spread! If you complete a credit card application for your business, and use an unusual abbreviation on that application, that information will be sold to the data aggregators and eventually show up online somewhere. When we identify it, we will work to correct the information.